The Portugal Golden Visa program is a popular residency-by-investment scheme for non-EU nationals. It allows investors and their families to obtain Portuguese citizenship by making a qualifying investment in the country. With this program, investors can benefit from a range of advantages, including visa-free travel within the Schengen area, the right to live, work, and study in Portugal, and the potential for permanent residence and citizenship.
What is the Portugal Golden Visa program?
The Portugal Golden Visa program was introduced in 2012 to attract foreign investment to the country. It allows non-EU citizens to obtain a residency permit through various investment options. While real estate investments are no longer eligible, there are still other investment avenues available, such as investment in funds, capital transfer, job creation, and donations in artistic or scientific domains.
Benefits of obtaining Portuguese citizenship by investment
Obtaining Portuguese citizenship through the Golden Visa program offers several advantages:
- Visa-free travel: With Portuguese citizenship, investors and their families can travel freely within the Schengen area, which includes 26 European countries.
- Right to live, work, and study: Golden Visa holders have the right to live, work, and study in Portugal as if they were EU citizens.
- Family reunification: The program allows for family reunification, meaning that investors can include their spouse, dependent children, and parents in their application.
- Permanent residence and citizenship: After holding the residency permit for at least five years and fulfilling all requirements, investors can apply for permanent residence. They can also apply for Portuguese citizenship after six years of legal residence.
- Tax incentives: The Portuguese Golden Visa program offers attractive tax incentives, such as the Non-Habitual Resident (NHR) tax regime, which allows for a favorable tax treatment for a period of ten years.
By taking advantage of the Portugal Golden Visa program, investors can benefit from the stability and quality of life in Portugal, as well as gain access to the European Union and Schengen Area.
Who is eligible for the Portugal Golden Visa program?
The Portugal Golden Visa program is open to non-EU nationals who are interested in obtaining residency and eventually citizenship in Portugal. The program allows investors and their family members to live, work, and study in Portugal, with the added benefit of visa-free travel within the Schengen Area. To be eligible for the Golden Visa program, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Must be a non-EU, non-Swiss, or non-EEA national
- Must make a minimum investment in Portugal
Minimum investment options for the Golden Visa
To qualify for the Golden Visa program, applicants must make a minimum investment in Portugal. The investment options include:
- Investing €500,000 in non-real estate-related collective investment structures, such as funds.
- Setting up or investing in existing companies with a minimum investment of €500,000 and job creation.
- Donations or contributions in artistic and scientific domains.
It’s important to note that as of 2023, real estate investments are no longer eligible for the Golden Visa program. The changes to the program aim to diversify investment options and promote investments in other sectors of the Portuguese economy.
Here’s a table summarizing the minimum investment options for the Portugal Golden Visa program:
|Investment Option||Minimum Investment|
|Non-real estate-related collective investment structures (e.g. funds)||€500,000|
|Setting up or investing in existing companies with job creation||€500,000|
|Donations or contributions in artistic and scientific domains||Varies|
These investment options offer flexibility for investors, allowing them to choose the option that best suits their preferences and goals.
In conclusion, the Portugal Golden Visa program provides an attractive opportunity for non-EU nationals to obtain residency and potentially citizenship in Portugal. The program offers various investment options and benefits, making it a popular choice among investors seeking to live, work, and study in Portugal while enjoying visa-free travel within the Schengen Area.
If you are considering obtaining a Portugal Golden Visa in 2023, it is important to understand the investment options available to you. The Portugal Golden Visa program offers several investment categories that allow you to qualify for residency and potentially obtain Portuguese citizenship. Here are the main investment options to consider:
Real estate investment:
Investing in real estate is one of the most popular routes to obtain a Portugal Golden Visa. The minimum investment amount for real estate is €500,000. You can choose to purchase residential, commercial, or even rental properties in Portugal.
Another investment option is to transfer at least €1 million in capital to Portugal. This can be done through opening a bank account or investing in stocks, bonds, or other financial instruments.
The Portuguese government encourages job creation by offering a Golden Visa for individuals who create a certain number of full-time jobs in Portugal. This is a great option for entrepreneurs and startup companies looking to invest in Portugal’s growing economy.
Donation to support national heritage or research and development:
For individuals passionate about supporting national heritage or research and development, making a donation of at least €250,000 can qualify you for a Portugal Golden Visa.
It is important to note that the investment amounts mentioned above are subject to change and it is recommended to consult with a professional to get the most up-to-date information.
Overall, the Portugal Golden Visa program offers a variety of investment options to meet different financial capabilities and interests. Whether you choose real estate, capital transfer, job creation, or donation, obtaining a Portugal Golden Visa can provide you and your family with residency, travel benefits, and potential citizenship in the country.
Applying for the Portugal Golden Visa is a straightforward process. Here is a step-by-step guide to help you navigate through the application process:
- Research and select the qualifying investment option that suits your needs and budget.
- Prepare all the required documents for your application. These documents may include:
- Valid passport
- Proof of clean criminal record
- Proof of health insurance
- Proof of investment, such as property purchase or fund transfer
- Proof of financial stability, such as bank statements or income statements
- Consult with a Portugal Golden Visa lawyer or consultant to ensure that your application meets all the necessary requirements and to assist you in the process.
- Once you have gathered all the required documents, submit your application to the Portuguese authorities.
- Attend a biometrics collection session to provide your fingerprints and other necessary personal information.
- Pay the required government fees for the issuance of the Golden Visa.
- Wait for your application to be reviewed and approved by the Portuguese Immigration and Border Service (SEF). This process typically takes around four months.
- Once approved, you will receive your Golden Visa residence permit.
- The residence permit is valid for five years. During this period, you must fulfill the minimum stay requirement, which is seven days in the first year and 14 days for every subsequent two-year period.
- After five years, you may be eligible to apply for Portuguese citizenship, which grants you the right to live, work, and study in Portugal as well as visa-free access to 188 countries.
Required documents for the application
To complete your Portugal Golden Visa application, you will need to gather and provide the following documents:
- Valid passport for all applicants
- Proof of clean criminal record from your home country and Portugal
- Proof of health insurance coverage
- Proof of investment, such as property purchase agreement or fund transfer documentation
- Bank statements or income statements to demonstrate financial stability
- Completed application forms
- Biometrics (fingerprint) collection form
- Proof of payment for government fees
It is essential to carefully review the specific requirements and document checklist provided by the Portuguese authorities or consult with a professional for guidance throughout the application process.
By following these steps and providing the necessary documents, you will be on your way to obtaining the Portugal Golden Visa and enjoying the benefits of residency in this beautiful country.
Benefits and Rights
Here are some of the benefits and rights that come with obtaining a Portugal Golden Visa:
Residency permit and rights of Golden Visa holders
- Qualify for residency by investing €280,000, one of the lowest investment thresholds in Europe.
- No requirement to move to Portugal, as staying in the country for an average of seven days per year is sufficient to maintain the residence permit.
- Eligible to apply for Portuguese citizenship after five years, one of the quickest paths to citizenship in Europe.
- Visa-free access to 188 countries once you become a Portuguese citizen.
- Registration in the Schengen Area central system, allowing for free travel within Europe without additional visas.
- Opportunity to obtain a Portuguese passport, which allows travel to 188 countries without the need for a visa.
Visa-free travel and access to Schengen Area countries
- With a Portugal Golden Visa, you can enjoy visa-free travel within the Schengen Area.
- The Schengen Area includes 26 European countries, including popular travel destinations such as France, Germany, Italy, and Spain.
- This allows for ease of travel and exploration within Europe, whether for leisure or business purposes.
Overall, the Portugal Golden Visa program offers a range of benefits and rights to its holders, including the opportunity for residency, citizenship, and visa-free travel within the Schengen Area. With its attractive investment options and affordable cost of living, Portugal has become a sought-after destination for international investors looking to obtain European citizenship through investment.
Note: It’s important to consult with legal experts and independent advisors to understand the full details and requirements of the Portugal Golden Visa program, as it may undergo changes and updates over time.
When considering the Portugal Golden Visa program, one of the key advantages is the tax benefits it offers. Here are some tax advantages of the program:
- Low Investment Threshold: The minimum investment required for the Portugal Golden Visa program is relatively low compared to other residency by investment programs in Europe. With an investment of €280,000, you can qualify for residency.
- Residence without Relocation: Unlike some other programs, you don’t have to physically move to Portugal to maintain your residency permit. You only need to spend an average of seven days per year in the country to maintain your residence permit.
- Path to Citizenship: After holding a Golden Visa for five years, you become eligible to apply for Portuguese citizenship. This is one of the quickest paths to citizenship in Europe.
- Visa-free Travel: Holding a Portuguese passport provides you with visa-free access to 188 countries. The Golden Visa permit also grants you visa-free travel within the Schengen area.
- Favorable Tax Regime: Portugal offers a favorable tax regime for foreigners who become tax residents. Through the Non-Habitual Residency (NHR) program, foreign residents can enjoy certain exemptions from income tax for the first 10 years of residence.
Non-Habitual Residency (NHR) program
The Non-Habitual Residency (NHR) program in Portugal is an additional tax incentive for those who become tax residents in the country. It offers further tax benefits for individuals who qualify. Here are some key points about the NHR program:
- Exemptions on Foreign Income: Under the NHR program, certain categories of foreign income, such as pensions, rental income, dividends, and interest on savings, may be exempt from Portuguese taxation.
- 10-Year Tax Exemption: Qualified individuals can enjoy a 10-year exemption from Portuguese income tax on their foreign income. This can result in significant tax savings.
- Certainty and Stability: The NHR program provides certainty and stability in terms of tax planning, as the tax benefits are guaranteed for a period of 10 years.
- Attracting Skilled Professionals: The objective of the NHR program is to attract high-value professionals to Portugal, such as retirees with pension income and individuals working in skilled professions.
Overall, the tax benefits of the Portugal Golden Visa program, combined with the NHR program, make it an attractive option for those seeking a favorable tax regime and the opportunity to obtain Portuguese citizenship while enjoying a high quality of life in Portugal.
Changes and New Rules for 2023
Updates and changes to the Portugal Golden Visa program for 2023
The Portugal Golden Visa program is a popular option for individuals looking to obtain Portuguese citizenship through investment. In 2023, there have been some updates and changes to the program that potential investors should be aware of. Here are the key changes and new rules for the Portugal Golden Visa program in 2023:
- Minimum Investment Thresholds: The minimum investment thresholds have been adjusted for certain categories. Here is a breakdown of the new thresholds:
- Capital transfer: The minimum investment amount for capital transfer has been set at a value equal to or above 1.5 million Euros.
- Job creation: To qualify through job creation, individuals must now create at least 10 job positions.
- Real estate: The minimum investment amount for purchasing real estate property has been set at a value equal to or above 500 thousand Euros.
- Urban regeneration: For properties that are over 30 years old or located in urban regeneration areas, the minimum investment amount for refurbishment is now set at a total value equal to or above 350 thousand Euros.
- Investment in Research and Arts: The program now allows for investments in research activities conducted by public or private scientific research institutions involved in the national scientific or technological system. Additionally, investments in artistic output or supporting the arts are also eligible for the program.
- Investment Funds and Venture Capital: Capital transfers for the acquisition of units of investment funds or venture capital fund of funds dedicated to the capitalization of companies are a new option for investors. The funds must be invested in commercial companies with headquarters in Portugal, and the maturity of the investment must be at least five years.
- Commercial Society Creation or Reinforcement: Investors now have the option to create or reinforce the share capital of a commercial society with headquarters in Portugal. This option requires the creation or maintenance of a minimum of five permanent jobs for a minimum period of three years.
It is important for investors to stay updated with the latest rules and regulations of the Portugal Golden Visa program. Consulting with the Serviço de Estrangeiros e Fronteiras (SEF) and other relevant authorities is recommended to ensure compliance with the program requirements.
Please note that Portuguese, EU, and EEE nationals are not eligible for the Portugal Golden Visa program.
For more detailed information and assistance with the Portugal Golden Visa program, it is advisable to reach out to SEF or other authorized agencies such as the Ministério dos Negócios Estrangeiros and Agência para o Investimento e Comércio Externo de Portugal.
In conclusion, the Portugal Golden Visa program offers a fantastic opportunity for non-EU citizens to obtain residency and eventually citizenship through investments in the country. Here is a summary of the key points to consider:
Summary of the Portugal Golden Visa program
- The program was launched in October 2012 to attract international capital into Portugal.
- It has been highly successful, raising over €6 billion since its inception.
- The program offers a range of relatively affordable investment options, including real estate, venture capital funds, transfer of capital, company formation, and donation.
- The minimum investment threshold is €280,000, one of the lowest in Europe.
- As a Golden Visa holder, you are only required to spend a minimum of seven days per year in Portugal to maintain your residence permit.
- After five years of holding a Golden Visa, you may be eligible to apply for Portuguese citizenship, which grants visa-free access to 188 countries.
- Portugal is a safe, secure, and affordable country with a high quality of life, solid infrastructure, superb climate, and good health and education systems.
Is the Portugal Golden Visa right for you?
Whether the Portugal Golden Visa is right for you depends on your individual circumstances and investment goals. Here are some factors to consider:
- The program is open to any non-EU/EEA/Swiss national who is at least 18 years old and holds a clean criminal record.
- The funds for the investment should come from outside of Portugal.
- You can choose from various investment options, including real estate, capital transfer, creating jobs, preserving national heritage, and research and development.
- If you are interested in real estate investments, note that residential properties in Lisbon, Porto, and coastal towns of the mainland do not qualify for the Golden Visa.
- If you are considering becoming a tax resident in Portugal, the country offers a favorable tax regime and certain exemptions through the non-habitual residency program.
It is recommended to seek advice from experienced professionals who can guide you through the process and help you make an informed decision based on your specific circumstances.
Overall, the Portugal Golden Visa program has provided countless individuals and families with the opportunity to live, work, study, and ultimately become citizens of this beautiful and welcoming country.
The Portugal Golden Visa program has become one of the most popular residency by investment programs in Europe and the world. Launched in 2012, the program aims to attract international capital into Portugal. It offers a range of investment options for non-EU citizens to obtain residency and the possibility of Portuguese citizenship within five years.
Here is a brief overview of the Portugal Golden Visa program:
- Investment Options: The program offers various investment options including real estate, capital transfer, creating jobs, preservation of heritage, and research and development.
- Minimum Investment: The minimum investment threshold for the program is €280,000, making it one of the most affordable residency by investment programs in Europe.
- Residency Requirements: Once you obtain the Golden Visa, you are required to spend a minimum of seven days in Portugal per year to maintain your residency.
- Citizenship Eligibility: After holding the Golden Visa for five years, you may be eligible to apply for Portuguese citizenship, which grants visa-free access to 188 countries.
- Access to Schengen Area: The Golden Visa permit allows you visa-free access to the Schengen states, allowing you to travel freely within Europe.
- Quality of Life: Portugal is known for its high quality of life, affordable cost of living, solid infrastructure, excellent climate, and good health and education systems.
If you are considering the Portugal Golden Visa, it is important to carefully assess your eligibility and investment options. Consulting with professionals who specialize in the program can help you navigate the process and make an informed decision.
In conclusion, the Portugal Golden Visa program offers a wonderful opportunity for non-EU citizens to obtain residency and potentially citizenship in Portugal. With its affordable investment options, attractive lifestyle, and visa-free travel opportunities, it is no wonder that the program has gained significant popularity.
If you want to invest in Portugal and obtain citizenship then Vasco Invest is here to help you during the complete process.
Contact us for more information !
FAQ Portugal Citizenship by investment
Q: What is the Portugal Golden Visa?
A: The Portugal Golden Visa is a citizenship by investment program that allows foreign investors to obtain residence and eventually citizenship in Portugal by making a qualifying investment in the country.
Q: How does the Portugal Golden Visa work?
A: The Portugal Golden Visa program requires applicants to make a qualifying investment, such as purchasing real estate, creating jobs, or investing in capital funds, among other options. Once the investment is made, applicants can obtain a residence permit and, after a certain period of time, become eligible for Portuguese citizenship.
Q: What are the benefits of the Portugal Golden Visa?
A: The Portugal Golden Visa offers several benefits, including the ability to live, work, and study in Portugal, travel freely within the Schengen Area, and access to Portugal’s healthcare and education systems. Additionally, it provides a pathway to Portuguese citizenship, which grants the right to live and work anywhere in the European Union.
Q: What are the investment options for the Portugal Golden Visa?
A: The Portugal Golden Visa program offers various investment options, including real estate investment, capital transfer, job creation, research activities, and participation in investment funds. The specific requirements and minimum investment amounts vary for each option.
Q: How long does it take to obtain Portugal citizenship through the Golden Visa program?
A: To obtain Portuguese citizenship through the Golden Visa program, applicants must hold a Golden Visa residence permit for at least five years. After this period, they can apply for citizenship by naturalization, provided they meet the necessary requirements.
Q: Can I bring my family with me through the Portugal Golden Visa?
A: Yes, the Portugal Golden Visa allows investors to include their family members, including spouse, children, and dependent parents, in the residence permit application. Family members can also benefit from the program’s advantages and eventually obtain Portuguese citizenship.
Q: What is the minimum investment required for the Portugal Golden Visa?
A: The minimum investment required for the Portugal Golden Visa depends on the chosen investment option. For real estate, the minimum investment is typically €500,000. Other investment options have varying minimum amounts. It’s important to note that additional fees and charges may also apply.
Q: Is it possible to sell the investment made for the Portugal Golden Visa?
A: Yes, it is possible to sell the investment made for the Portugal Golden Visa after a certain period of time. However, it is important to consult with legal and financial professionals to understand the implications of selling the investment on the investor’s residency and citizenship status.
Q: Can I apply for Portuguese citizenship without obtaining the Golden Visa first?
A: While it is possible to apply for Portuguese citizenship without obtaining the Golden Visa first, the Golden Visa provides a streamlined pathway to citizenship. The program offers several advantages and benefits that make the citizenship application process more accessible for foreign investors.
Q: What are the tax implications of the Portugal Golden Visa?
A: The tax implications of the Portugal Golden Visa vary depending on individual circumstances. Portugal offers several attractive tax incentives, including the Non-Habitual Resident (NHR) regime, which can provide significant tax benefits for foreign residents. It is recommended to consult with tax professionals to understand the specific tax implications of the program.